New Mexico State University
New Mexico State University, which began in 1888 as an agricultural college and preparatory school, is a comprehensive institution dedicated to teaching, research, and service at the graduate and undergraduate level. It is the only land-grant institution that is also classified as Hispanic serving by the federal government and ranked by the Carnegie Foundation in the top research category, Research- Extensive.
The university is also home to the state's only NASA Space Grant Program. With extension and research sites in every county, New Mexico State is developing distance-education capabilities to extend its reach to all the citizens of the state.
Regular faculty members on the main campus number 665. Eighty-four percent of the full-time faculty hold earned doctoral degrees. The faculty/student ratio is 1 to 19. The professional and classified staff total 2,793.
Doña Ana Branch Community College
In 1965, Doña Ana County was designated by the New Mexico Department of Education as an appropriate site in southern New Mexico for an area vocational- technical school.
In 1971, the boards of education of the Gadsden, Hatch, and Las Cruces school districts requested that New Mexico State University establish a branch community college located on its campus in Las Cruces to offer post secondary vocational-technical education in Doña Ana County.
The New Mexico State University Board of Regents approved the request in 1972, and the voters in Doña Ana County approved an operational mill levy in May 1973.
The institution became an official entity on July 1, 1973. It began offering vocational training programs on September 4, 1973, as the Doña Ana County Occupational Education Branch of New Mexico State University.